Thursday, May 26, 2016

Rat Pack



Sometimes you have to return to normal life.
Doctors appointments, updating your resume, paying taxes.
Things that aren't exciting in the least but are essential to living day to day.
Today, I had a dark surprise. A dead rat, in my car, in my fan.

I brought my car in to get serviced because the fan was making a strange sound, like something was loose. No big deal, right? Turns out, the sound is a dead rat that has been in there since I don't know when, whom I have been breathing in. I'm not sure why I feel so offended by breathing in a dead rat. Like the rat is out to kill me too! Infect me with it's deadness.

Maybe I'm just annoyed of being reminded of death. It's everywhere. On the news, on your Facebook feed, in your car. Waiting till it's your turn.

It reminds me of how medieval people used to think of death and misfortune during the plague. You can see pictures of Death personified as a skeleton dancing with the living. Don't get too close.

The Wheel of Fortune was a great way, in my opinion, of rationalizing good times and bad times. When you're on top, the wheel keeps spinning and you should be expecting bad times ahead. When you're on the bottom, you can only going up from there. The circle of life. Forever and ever and ever. I think it's a nice reminder that nothings stays the same and everything is constantly changing. Rats included.

So, good riddance rat. You may have cost me a lot of money, but your death didn't go unnoticed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment